CCTV.com  中文 | English | Español | Français
Olympics  中文 | Español | Français
首页 > 奥林匹克频道 >  Content

Beihong Memorial

Updated:2008-06-06 10:34 | Source:

  Xu Beihong Memorial was located on East

  Shoulu Street in front of the Beijing Railway

  Station until, in 1967, it was demolished to make

  room for the subway. In 1983 a new one was built and

  opened to the public as a theme memorial.

  Xu Beihong, a renowned modern Chinese painter and

  outstanding fine arts educationist, was born in

  Yixing, Jiangsu province in 1895 and died in Beijing

  in 1953. He was the first chairman of the Chinese

  Fine Artists Association and the first president of

  the Central Academy of Fine Arts. Determined to

  revitalize art in China, he studied hard in Europe

  for 8 years and mastered the techniques of western

  painting. After that he returned to China, and began

  to do two things at once¨Csetting up a scientific

  fine arts education system and creating a number of

  works by blending the Chinese and the western. His

  traditional Chinese paintings, in which Chinese and

  western techniques coexist, are modern, meaningful,

  and passionate. His oil paintings mix the shaping of

  western classicism, the coloring of impressionism,

  and the charm and taste of traditional Chinese

  culture. He created such impressive works as Yugong

  Moving the Mountain, Portrait of Tagore, and Five

  Hundred Knights of Tianheng. The vigorous, powerful

  horses in his paintings greatly encouraged and

  inspired the Chinese in their war against Japanese

  invaders, war against Kuomingtang, and efforts to

  build socialism. His life is an epitome of the

  progress of modern art in China. His artistic

  achievements are an important part of Chinese

  culture. He has made great, lasting influence in

  China and other parts of the world.

  The memorial covers a floor space of 2,000 square

  meters. It keeps a white marble bust of the painter,

  over 1,100 of his paintings and calligraphic works,

  over 1,000 ancient and modern paintings and

  calligraphic works he had collected, and over 10,000

  books on fine arts, rubbings from tablets, and

  pictures from home and abroad. It consists of an

  introduction hall and seven exhibition halls. The

  introduction hall displays the painter’s self-

  portrait, while the exhibition halls respectively

  display his traditional Chinese paintings, oil

  paintings, sketches, and photos and relics

  reflecting his life.

  Address:No. 53 Xinjiekou North Street, Xicheng

  District, Beijing

  (Source:

  http://www.ebeijing.gov.cn/Tour/ScenicSpots/)

Editor : Zhu Jia

Opening ceremony of Beijing Olympics