CCTV.com  中文 | English | Español | Français
Olympics  中文 | Español | Français
首页 > 奥林匹克频道 >  Content

Memorial Museum of Tunnel Warfare Sites at Jiaozhuanghu Village

Updated:2008-06-06 10:27 | Source:

  The museum is located in Longwantun Town,

  Shunyi District, Beijing, at the foot of Waituo

  Mountain, a branch of the Yan Mountains. Driving

  along Jingshun Road to Kuliushu Roundabout, then

  turn right, and driving directly along Shunping Road

  to the crossing at Muyan Rd, Yang Town, turn right,

  and driving ahead, you could get there. It is 60

  kilometers from downtown Beijing. During the War of

  Resistance against Japan and the Liberation War,

  Jiaozhuanghu was under the leadership of the Jidong

  (east Hebei Province) branch of the Communist Party.

  It was the only road leading to Pingxi and Pingbei

  communist strongholds.

  In the spring of 1943, Japanese invaders launched a

  ferocious attack against Jiaozhuanghu. To fight

  them, local soldiers and civilians, led by the

  Communist Party, creatively invented the tunnel

  warfare according to the local situation. At first

  the tunnels they made could only hold one or a

  couple of persons; later they came to connect every

  house and every village in the area, serving as

  underground fortresses, with holes for lookout and

  shooting, commanding posts, and flexible boards to

  ward off water, poison and toxic gases. The

  entrances, exits, and shooting holes, hidden in

  floors, kang (heated bed used in north China),

  chambers of the kitchen ranges, mangers, walls of

  wells, or under millstones, were difficult for the

  enemy to discover. By 1946, the total length of the

  tunnels had reached 23 li (1 li = 500 meters), and

  had connected Jiaozhuanghu to Longwantun Village,

  Tangdong Village, and Dabeiwu Village. Soldiers and

  civilians used them to protect wounded Chinese

  soldiers, store materiels, and shattered enemy’s

  attacks for many times, achieving glorious

  victories. In Nov. 1947, the government of Shunyi

  County awarded Jiaozhuanghu a silk banner that bears

  The Greatest Fortress of the People’. After 1949,

  to commemorate the glories of revolutionaries and

  inculcate the people with the revolutionary

  traditions, a museum was set up to show the history

  of the militia of Jiaozhuanghu. In 1979 the

  municipal government of Beijing named it Memorial

  Museum of Tunnel Warfare Sites at Jiaozhuanghu,

  Beijing’, and designated it as a major historic

  site under municipal protection. Since 1987, the

  municipal government and the district government

  have allocated funds for restoring a 800-meter-long

  tunnel, building and altering dozens of kilometers

  of roads, and purchased and restored 40 houses

  involved in the war. In Sept. 2004, a new memorial

  museum of tunnel warfare sites started to be built,

  the total investment in which was 12 million yuan.

  It covers an area of 7,260 square meters, with a

  2,000-square-meter floor space. It includes

  restoring blockhouses against the enemy. It was

  officially opened in August 2005.

  The museum displays evidences of the atrocities of

  Japanese soldiers and quislings, the glorious

  achievements of local soldiers and civilians

  fighting against them, the formation of the tunnels

  and their features. In addition, tourists may watch

  an old movie named Tunnel Warfare, visit well-

  preserved tunnel sites and houses involved in the

  war, and have Anti-Japanese War meals’.

  The Jiaozhuanghu Folk Custom Village, located

  closely to the museum, is the first red folk custom

  ’ village in Shunyi, and a city-level folk custom

  village. It comprises of 55 folk-custom households,

  with a capacity of 1,000 lodgers and 2,500 diners.

  (Source:

  http://www.ebeijing.gov.cn/Tour/ScenicSpots/)

Editor : Zhu Jia

Opening ceremony of Beijing Olympics