CCTV.com  中文 | English | Español | Français
Olympics  中文 | Español | Français
首页 > 奥林匹克频道 >  Content

Lao She Memorial

Updated:2008-06-06 10:27 | Source:

  Lao She Memorial Hall is one of the historic

  sites under Beijing Municipal protection. It is

  located in Fengfu Lane, West St., Dengshikou,

  Dongcheng District. In the beginning of 1950, after

  returning from America, Lao She bought it and lived

  here for 16 years. It is in this house that he wrote

  24 plays, including Longxu Ditch, Teahouse, and

  Beneath the Pure Red Banner, and two novels. These

  works total about 4 million words. On Feb. 1, 1999,

  or the 100th anniversary of Lao She’s birth, the

  Memorial was opened to the public.

  Lao She (1899-1966) was a novelist and playwright.

  His original name was Shu Qingchun, and his courtesy

  name was She Yu. He was born and raised in Beijing.

  Before the Japanese invasion he had successively

  been the principal of a primary school, a teacher at

  the Oriental College of London University, a

  professor first at Qilu University, then at Shandong

  University. During the war against the Japanese

  invasion, as head of the National Association of

  Writers and Artists against Invaders, he played an

  active part in mobilizing writers and artists for

  anti-Japanese propaganda. After the war was won, he

  went to America for lecturing and writing. After he

  returned to China in 1949, he held such posts as

  member of the Literature, Art, and Education

  Committee of the Political Affairs Department,

  deputy chairman of the National Association of

  Literature and Art, deputy chairman of the National

  Writers’ Association, and chairman of the Beijing

  Association of Literature and Art. As a prolific

  writer, he enjoyed such a high reputation among

  common people that he was awarded the title People’

  s Artist’. He died in 1966.

  The Memorial is a typical Siheyuan’ (Quadrangle

  Dwelling). It covers an area of 400 square meters.

  The most special thing about it is a rich exhibition

  entitled Lao She’s Life and Works.

  Entering the east-facing gate of the Memorial you’

  ll see a gray brick screen wall and two south

  chambers. Enter the second gate and you’ll see a

  little colored wooden screen wall, a rarity in

  Beijing today. Round it and you’ll find yourself in

  the main part of the memorial hall. There are three

  principal chambers in the courtyard. The outer room

  and west room served as living rooms, and the east

  room was the bedroom and studio of Hu Jieqing, Lao

  She’s wife. The west side room, which used to be

  Lao She’s bedroom and study, is open to visitors

  with its original furnishings. The east house and

  west house in the courtyard serve as the exhibition

  hall No.1 and 2, in which are displayed a great deal

  of valuable manuscripts, books, photos, and other

  relics reflecting Lao She’s life and writing

  career. The memorial hall mainly serves to protect

  the writer’s former residence and the relics he

  left. It also holds exhibitions for primary or

  middle school students, the theme of which is what

  Lao She’s wife said of her husband: He was born and

  raised in Beijing, died in Beijing, and devoted his

  life to writing about Beijing.’

  Address:No. 19, Fengfu Hutong, Dengshikou West

  Street, Dongcheng District, Beijing

  (Source:

  http://www.ebeijing.gov.cn/Tour/ScenicSpots/)

Editor : Zhu Jia

Opening ceremony of Beijing Olympics